I recently attended my youngest brother, Sean, graduation ceremony. I have actually attended all of my siblings ceremony's which are like 2 1/2 hours each so that is a lot of hours of sitting! This tradition of mine started when Laura was graduating from High School in 2006 and my dad was in the hospital for his Bone Marrow Transplant. Obviously he couldn't attend and my mom needed to be with him when he came out of the surgery. So me and my good friend Ashley took Laura to her Graduation which was actually a big deal because Laura was the first person with Down Syndrome to graduate from a public High School in Calgary!
Then my dad passed away in 2007 missing both my brothers High School Graduations. Since my dad was able to attend only my Graduation, I felt like I should attend all of my siblings Graduation in place of my dad. It's been really fun to act like the proud parent taking all the photos and cheering when their names are called onstage. The girls graduated from Lord Beaverbrook High School and the boys graduated from Centennial High School. As I was attending Sean's, I realized I have been graduated for SEVEN years! That is crazy!
My Grad 2003
Laura's Grad 2006
Brad's Grad 2007

Sean's Grad 2010
6 comments:
Wow.. I hda no idea that your sister was the first down syndrome to graduate in calgary! That is awesome!! I think it's awesome that you have attended all of your siblings graduations. I bet it has ment so much to them!!
Awesome post! Love it! Your dad would be so proud of ALL of you! Love you guys!
its been a while since I've seen a picture of you...
You look amazing! and I can't wait to see you in approximately 1 month!
I loved this post. It made me cry - happy tears for Laura and your other siblings, sad tears when I saw that picture of you with your parents at your grad. I really did love this post. That is such a cool tradition that you had going. You might have to keep it going by being the cool aunt that goes to your siblings' kids grads :)
You are a great sister and I'm sure all your siblings love you for being there! You look great by the way!
First thing that came to mind when I read this... you're a great sister.
Post a Comment